Monday, February 1, 2010

Food news: Openings, closings, and goodbye Spoon

My new favorite lunch spot is Home Kitchen on Jungmannova. It's about the size of a large closet and only has a few seats, but it serves honest food made fresh several times a day. The menu changes frequently, with three different soups daily (I warmed myself up with a fantastic dill and potato version), a meat entree (like duck breast with rosehip sauce and gratinated potatoes), and a couple of vegetarian items (stuffed peppers or eggplant parmigiana with turnip purée). The cozy brick walls, pleasant service, and neat take-out packaging make Home Kitchen feel distinctly un-Prague-like (a more complete write-up can be found on Cuketka's blog).

I was very sad to hear that one of our best and most innovative restaurants, Sofia Smith's Asian-inspired Angel, has apparently closed. Celèste, Angel's sister restaurant, is still open, and I recently had a great meal there -- the desserts were particularly awesome -- but Angel will be sorely missed.

More predictable, perhaps, is the closing of Le Cornichon, which was resurrected with a new chef after a hiatus last summer, but never managed to regain its buzz. La Casa Blu, meanwhile, is still fighting to renew its lease; updates can be found on its homepage.

As many of you know, I left my position as Lidove Noviny's restaurant critic at the end of last year (their farewell interview with me can be read here). I'll be putting the blog on hold while I pursue other passions and things. Thank you to all my readers, even the more vicious ones, for your support. You kept it interesting -- and kept me in check occasionally, too.

And if you find anyplace good to eat in this town, be sure to let me know.

photographs: homekitchen.cz, Tomáš Krist for Lidové Noviny, lecornichon.cz, Prague Spoon

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Brewsta said...

I've been a regular reader, and I'm sorry to see you go. You've saved me more than a few crowns in the last few years with information on places to avoid. Not to mention the reviews that triggered my curiousity along with my hunger.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Brewsta

Anonymous said...

As a reader from the United States (Minneapolis, MN), I really enjoyed reading your reviews. I have a great interest in things Czech, and I found your writings to give a wonderful feel for the culture there, as I have never been there myself. I really will miss your blog. Take care, and good luck.

Anonymous said...

I do hope you drop in from time to time and perhaps write some brief capsule reviews!

bakinginstilettos said...

I discovered your blog a few months ago and have read every post. I love Prague and travel there as often as possible from Budapest, and it has been so useful to find this blog. You have a great writing style and clearly appreciate food and know your stuff. So sad to see you go! If you are ever down this way, I would love to share Budapest tips with you.

CS said...

Laura,

Its a shame to hear that you're leaving, but hopefully you'll be back soon. The blog is great and the best English language restaurant reviews in the city. Prague will be poorer without you!

CS

Pivní Filosof said...

Whatever is that you are up to, I hope you'll be successful.
I'll miss your blog, too.

Erik said...

Damn! I just found this page today! Thank God you have an extensive archive of posts.

khen said...

those photos are very interesting. thanks for posting. i wish to hear more from this restaurant.

Cheap web hosting india said...

This web site is amazing. I constantly come across some thing new & different right here. Thank you for that data.The photes are looking very natural...

Domain name registration services india said...

This web site is amazing. I constantly come across some thing new & different right here. Thank you for that data.The photes are looking very natural...

Alex cox said...

It's time to enjoy the Weekends, just buy your coupon from dealaboo.com and viator travel will promise you a memorabile holidays with your loved ones. It will give you an experience to taste delicious food, with travel by air to our selected destination.