Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Prague Spoon Star Drink: Midnight espresso @ Bar & Books

It's not often that I use the word "orgasmic" as a descriptor. But in the case of the midnight espresso at Bar & Books, I just can't help myself.



How else could I express the lustful adoration I feel for this magical cocktail? I don't usually like mixed drinks that are too sweet, and the midnight espresso (145 CZK) is definitely on the sugary side. But the rich combo of Absolut Vanilia, Kahlúa, Frangelico, and Baileys is offset by a shot of ristretto that gives the cocktail a pleasantly bitter aftertaste. And there's a little fruitiness in there, too, courtesy of a whiff of Chambord and a physalis garnish.

It's so good that I have to insist you try it. Just remember to contain yourself when you do.

Bar and Books
Týnská 19
Prague 1 - Old Town
Tel: 224 808 250
map

Corner Bar and Bistro
Mánesova 64
Prague 2 - Vinohrady
Tel: 222 724 581
map

4 comments:

Meaghan said...

This cocktail is definitely one of the best ones I've had in the city too.

The selection of cocktails at Bar & Books is fantastic! This is the place you want to bring someone (or a small group of people) to impress.

Anyone else wish the venue was bigger though? I've gone before when it was too packed and people were turned away at the door....

Laura Baranik said...

It does get packed. It's good to make a reservation on weekends if you know you're going to end up there. Or I guess there's always Corner Bar and Books in Vinohrady, but I haven't tried that one yet.

Anonymous said...

Corner Bistro looks brutal. I like it that Bar & Books turns people away when it's full. It's pretty chill most nights and you never feel like they're waiting for you to leave so they can open up another table.

Lili said...

I’ve been to Prague many times and I never get sick of it. I love the small streets and the mystic environment, its like magnet to me. Walking from street to street, even if alone always makes me feel so small but at the same time so well connected to the city. I found the city very safe, as you can check in this link form the government. I never had a problem for being out until late and alone or ever saw any incident.
What I also enjoy in this city is the night life, the Prague music clubs are all so cozy and have such a nice environment and decoration and make you want to stay long. If you or any of your friends want to go there again I leave you here a nice site with good clubs to go. Yes this cocktail is lovely! I love cocktails…to drink and dance…..